Tuesday, February 12, 2013

This Is Not The Store Bought Cookie Eater Cheater's Favorite Cookie

Follow Me on Pinterest
That's a weird title to a post about one of my all-time favorite cookies, isn't it?  Allow me to explain...

As you know by now, I love to bake and usually do so once a week.  For awhile I was on a Banana Bread kick.  I'd bake bunches of it and give them away.  I have a top secret for now banana bread recipe that is so good, but I don't eat the stuff myself.  I'm a pusher, not a user except when it comes to cookies and those Dangerously Delicious Peaches and Cream Cheese Cookie Bars.    Then I'm a user, too.

Which brings us back around to today's topic.  A couple of years ago I was making a different cookie each week or so.  Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Peanut Butter, and today's recipe Steffie's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookie.   

After weeks of baking every cookie recipe known to mankind, I ask my dear husband, "What's your favorite cookie?"   I am fully expecting him to name something I've baked.  Wouldn't you be, too?  Well...

He replies, "Oreos."

WHAT!?!? Did he just say OREOS???  OREOS??  Really?

I allowed my heart to resume to it's normal heartbeat before responding.

"So, YOU are a store bought cookie eater cheater, huh?", I say in the most accusatory tone that I can muster. 

Had he been eating an Oreo at that moment, I think he would have choked on it from laughing.  From there on, when it comes to cookies he has been known as The Store Bought Cookie Eater Cheater.*

Today's recipe isn't for a homemade version of Oreos, though I've seen them out there on the big World Wide Web.   Rather, it is for Steffie's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies.  These are D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.  Easy, too.  Ready?  Let's get baking...

I'm not going to bore you with pictures of the ingredients.  There is nothing you don't already have in your cupboards in this recipe.  Nor, am I going to insult your intelligence by posting step by step photos.  There is nothing difficult about making these cookies.  Plus, since Mother Robin tried to kill me last year by dive bombing me when I snapped a photo of the babies in her nest on MY FRONT PORCH, causing me to jump, scream, run and drop my camera resulting in its demise, well, the photos I get with my cell phone just aren't worth the time it takes to edit them enough to look decent.   Plus, like I mentioned two sentences prior to my extremely long run on sentence, you are a smart person.  You have probably made cookies successfully at some time in your life. 




Steffie's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Hardscrabble Home

Ingredients

1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter, Chunky OR Smooth (It's your choice)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
1 Egg
1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars together.  Add the egg and mix until light & fluffy.  Blend the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together well.  Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing well.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop cookies by tsp. onto non stick baking sheet.  Bake for approximately 10 minutes.  Allow to cool before removing.

Devour them with a glass of milk.  Preferably in the middle of the night because between midnight and 6am, calories don't count.  (Don't quote me on that.)

*Back to the * I placed earlier in a sentence about the Store Bought Cookie Eater Cheater.  The way you break your husband from carrying on with a store bought cookie is to buy him his Oreos.  Make them the Double Stuffed ones, too.  Always repackage them into a plastic lidded container "to keep them fresh".  After awhile of supporting his habit with the real stuff, the NAME BRAND stuff, switch it out with the generic ones.  They are NOT AS GOOD.  He won't notice they aren't real Oreos.  Before you know it, the day will come when you are preparing the grocery list.  You'll say, "Honey, do you want me to pick up some Oreos?"  He'll reply no, because he has lost his taste for them.  hehehe.  You have just won your battle and now YOUR homemade cookies reign supreme once again.  

Enjoy your cookies!  I always double the recipe above when I make them.  I could have listed those measurements but I didn't want to seem like the gluttonous pig we revealed ourselves to be last week with the cookie bar recipe.   Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us...